Monday, August 30, 2010

A Minute Matters

Zach's story from Mommy's perspective.

We recently had a very enjoyable visit to some of Chad's family in Brookhaven, MS and Huntsville, AL. The kids had an absolutely wonderful time as they got in the creek at Papaw's, visited the Space and Rocket Center and NASA with Pop Pop and Nana, and, of course, got to swim in Nana's big glorious pool.

I had put off swimming lessons for the kids for the last two summers, but we had gotten these cute inner tubes last year and they got around very well with them. After three days, I developed a deceiving comfort around the pool with the kids.



On Thursday morning, we went to the NASA gift shop then the kids swam with me and Chad. We got out and had lunch on the deck next to the pool, then Chad, Pop Pop and Nana took everything inside while I sat out with the kids. Hannah was still eating with her back to the pool. Zach was standing gleefully next to the deep end of the pool where all the pool toys accumulated and was pulling them out and chunking them back in. Rebecca sat with me for several minutes as we watched Zach then she wanted down. She turned around and headed straight to the flower garden which was at the backside of the deck. From where I sat, I could turn my head to the right and watch the pool or turn my head to the left and watch the garden. As Rebecca stepped barefooted into the garden, I turned to watch her. I watched her long enough to make sure she didn't step on any painful items, then turned back to the pool. And my heart stopped.

It was quiet next to the pool. "Zachary?" I called out. Then from my position, I clearly saw the dark mass at the bottom of the deep end. I ran and leaped into the pool and swam to the deep end. Then I dove straight down to the bottom, located Zach who was vertically inverted, grabbed his ankle and swam to the surface. I remember screaming for help as I worked to get Zach's head out of the water and attempted without success to get him out of the pool. At that moment, Chad came running out and dove in to help me. I later learned that Nana had seen me dive into the pool from the kitchen window and told Chad to get out there to help me. He literally threw Zach out of the pool and got out to begin CPR on our blue son. I was dismayed that I was too tired to pull myself out of the pool and had to settle for pulling halfway out and grabbing Zach's ankle again. Chad's dad had arrived and Nana had gone to call 911. And as Chad breathed life back into our precious baby, I prayed and prayed and prayed. I joked later that I prayed so loudly because I think I wanted to be sure Jesus was hearing me. And my Lord did hear me. Zach started breathing and spit up some. I pulled out of the pool and kept eye contact with him and commanded him to breathe and stay with Mommy and Daddy. Then Chad picked him up and the ambulance arrived. Before transporting, poor Zach threw up all over Chad. Because of the concern for a concussion, Zach was taken to the ER. Chad rode in the ambulance while Nana and I drove behind.

Zach was taken to a wonderful children's hospital about 15 minutes from the house. They were so good to him and so caring to our family. Zach had blood work, a chest x-ray and a CT scan. Concussion was ruled out and oxygen levels looked good, but he had water in his lungs and his potassium level was around 2.4, incredibly low for the little guy. I learned that the potassium level drops after the oxygen level begins depleting in the body. After being diagnosed with pulminary edima, he was admitted as outpatient overnight to be observed for pneumonia which sometimes occurs.

Here's our baby hooked up to all his gadgets after we got to his private room.



I stayed the night with Zach and Chad went back to be with the girls. Hannah had watched the entire scene and had lots of questions. Thankfully, Chad got some one on one time with her and she had a special night of sleeping with Daddy.

Zach slept until his night nurse came on duty in the late evening to do another blood draw. Then he got to enjoy a red popsicle and all the apple juice he could drink.



It was a long night for me as I constantly tended beeping machines, rolled Zach back onto his back to keep his lines unobstructed and thus keep the machines from going berserk. And then there were the bathroom trips. Wow, a lot of work to get him about 8 feet away. But I wouldn't have it any other way. There was no way anyone was going to pry me away from him.

The next morning, Zach had another blood draw and confirmed his potassium levels were back at normal levels and had another chest x-ray to confirm just a little bit of water was left in his right lung.

It was difficult for him to play, but he so enjoyed the toys I had brought to make his stay more comfortable. Charity groups also came by and brought him a handmade smiley-face pillow (which he sleeps on every night), a handmade bear Daddy named Stripey (because it has striped fabric Mommy - duh!), a Monsters, Inc book, a coloring book, and small box of crayons! He was all smiles.



The resident doctor came in mid-morning and confirmed Zach was cleared to go home. She made instant friends with Zach when she named the Thomas trains I had brought him. It was because of this, I think, that he responded very openly when she asked if he remembered what happened. "I fell in," he said solemnly. "I tried to get out." That little sentence was like a lead weight on me. I had hoped that one of the scratches on his head meant that he was unconscious when he fell in the water. This confirmed that he had been wide awake. As I watched his little sister to make sure she didn't get a bug bite, my little boy was struggling for his life behind me.

I cried so much the first few days. There was so much guilt weighing on me. I learned very valuable lessons. First, never allow myself to get into a situation where I have to choose to turn my back on a potentially harmful situation no matter how benign it may seem. I had lost respect for the pool. Big mistake. Second, I had put off swimming lessons because we do not have a pool. Everyone needs to know how to swim. Period. I also learned that I love my children beyond description. I was ready to give my life for my child and I couldn't imagine living without him. It was just a glimpse of what God feels for us and it was almost overpowering.

We went back to Nana and Pop Pop's before lunch and got settled down. After supper Friday evening, we went to a nifty ice cream shop and Zach got a chocolate ice cream cone. He enjoyed every bite.



Zach is still working through his traumatic experience. As we were cautioned, we saw some aggressive behavior the first few days. He also does not want to be by himself. And, interestingly enough, he wants to play play-doh. It seems to be therapeutic for him. He played Friday and even ate down on the floor so he could keep playing. I was told he played at church Sunday morning, and then he played for about five hours on Monday. I can see that he is improving so I guess it's getting the job done.



After talking with the family, we pieced together the few minutes before the accident and I feel that Zach was under for about two minutes. A minute earlier and he may have received a reprimand and a huge hug. A minute later and this could have been a very different post.

I am so thankful to God for giving Zachary back to us. It has reminded me that I need to keep my priorities straight. I am so thankful for my husband who breathed life back into our son. His quick response made all the difference. I am also so thankful to the countless individuals who prayed for Zach and our family. We heard from some people we do not even know. Never underestimate prayer. We felt every single one.

Thank you sweet Jesus for returning Zachary to us. I know you have great plans for him and I cannot wait to see those plans unfold.

2 comments:

Katie A. said...

Wow, I know that must have been a hard post, but thank you for sharing. I can not imagine what you guys were feeling that day or are even feeling to this day. I am praying that God will remove these scenes from your mind and the fear that comes with them. I'm so thankful this did not turn out any worse. Love y'all!

SeƱora Smith said...

Julie I am so glad you shared the entire story of what happened. Reading through it my heart was racing; all of us moms can visualize this scene unfolding. Praise God that your head turned back right when it did & you all acted so quickly. The Lord will use this event in Zachary's life for his good and for His glory - just wait & see!
Hugs to you!