Monday, February 1, 2010

What Julie's Been Up To

I am in awe that February 1st has arrived. Is it really possible that a whole month has passed in this year? I noticed last week that I had neglected my blog recently. When my father-in-law made a comment to my hubby, I knew it was time to get back to it!

After my interview on Jan 11, I immediately had to prepare for the two conferences I was about to attend. On the 14th and 15th, I went to Ft Worth for a Lifeway VBS preview. It was completely amazing! I got such wonderful ideas and it helped me learn how to communicate better with children. Thank you Susie for staying with the kiddos so I could "get out of Dodge" and get to Ft Worth in time. And thank you Mandy for letting me spend the night so I didn't have to dish out moolah for a hotel. What a fun time to get to catch up a little!

On Friday, I drove straight from Ft Worth to Richardson where I attended a Children's Choir conference for two days. There are no words to describe the joy I had in attending this. I had just started leading the preschool choir on the 10th and realized quickly that my limited experience just wasn't going to cut it. Thankfully, our Worship & Arts minister recognized the benefits of this event in December and offered it to me and the children's choir leader. The only expenses I had at that event were breakfast and a $6 CD I bought to add to my personal kiddo collection. I learned so much at this event and had implemented as many as possible in the three lessons I have had since then. And what an awesome time I had getting to know our pastor's wife better as we shared a hotel room!

On Monday the 18th, I joined a Girlfriends Unlimited walking group here in Gunter. They meet twice per week at the high school, but my schedule only permits me to go on Mondays. But I don't mind at all because it still provides me with more excercise than I usually get in a week!

Our Mommy & Me play days started back up on the 21st. I was surprised this morning to get an email through our M&M website from a mom who found our group through my KXII interview! She has already said she and her daughter are coming to the next play day this Thursday and already called me to ask what snack to bring. I LOVE being a part of this ministry!

Last week was appointments for the kids, as I mention in an earlier post. Last Saturday, I finally got to take my knitting class. I can actually say that I knit now! It was much easier than I anticipated. I have had a couple of friends show me, but I always had trouble catching on. Being immersed in it for 2-1/2 hours did the trick! Plus it was so relaxing - and very addictive! But don't expect any gifts from me yet. Trust me - you don't want them just yet!

On top of all that, I have had the privilege of leading Council Time during Sparks on Wednesday nights while our Director is on a leave of absence. Sparks are kindergarten through 2nd grade and they are soooo enthusiastic! I always pick volunteers, stick a few props or costumes on them and get them to act it out while I tell the story. Another thing I just totally dig!

We started rehearsing for the Easter production a few weeks ago. It is full of monologues and has 8 songs. It is going to be so emotionally charged being a part of this. I am humbled to say that I will be saying a monologue as Mary, the mother of Jesus and singing a solo. I got to sing it with the choir last night and I can see that this will be a challenge to do and not fall to pieces sobbing.

I am still homeschooling Hannah and Zach. Today we had a special math lesson. They were each given three $1 bills and got to shop at "the store" which included DVDs for $2 and a few books or trinkets for $1. They had to choose what they would buy and it had to add up to $3. It was a good lesson on the value of money, adding 1+2 and that the Smith store has no returns or exchanges. All sales are final, thank you very much. LOL

So we are oh-so-busy, especially since Chad started Biology on January 19. It's difficult to not have him at all for two days a week when I have been so spoiled by his presence. But we are adapting. I have oodles of pictures which will one day be uploaded to Snapfish. But now it's time to post this and get upstairs to some kids who are very much done with naptime!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You have had good reason to be slightly behind in blog updates! Julie, you do more in a couple of days that I accomplish in two months!!!

P.S. Good to have you back. :-)