Friday, October 2, 2009

I Have a New Title

As many of you know, Hannah is a pretty bright child. She likes to figure out how things work and learns very quickly. Wednesday night she learned that electronics do not get a bath.

We were preparing to leave for church and Chad went upstairs to prod the kids on. He came down carrying a wet Leapster. Apparently, Hannah's Leapster was "dirty" and she was "washing" it in the sink when Chad entered the scene. Needless to say, it didn't turn on. Later that night, it still didn't turn on. Yesterday, it still didn't turn on.

As I fumed about a $50 toy that was possibly ruined, I pondered some possibilities of how to get this toy to work again. In my 4 plus years as a mom, I have disassembled a plethora of toys, called Customer Service for assistance, perused the Internet for toy designs, and been the toy companies' worst nightmare. I am the parent they don't want to hear from. I am the one who refuses to just throw out a toy and buy a new one. I do everything possible to get it to work again, including taking a toy down to it's basics. Only after I have exhausted everything will I mournfully send a toy on to its demise.

So I took a deep breath and took the Leapster apart. Water dripped out of it so I thought maybe the connectors on the board were still damp. I left it out for 24 hours to dry. So I am patting myself on the back right now because I actually got the thing reassembled and it works! Can I add Toy Repair Expert to my resume?

2 comments:

Lacey said...

Wow, you ROCK!!!! Can I send you T's? It won't turn on. :( Think it may have been dropped one too many times. :(

I bow before thee, oh toy-fixer wonder!

Unknown said...

I'll try to remember to bring you a bottle of 100% alcohol used for cleaning parts. That and some distilled water and lots of electronics can be brought back to life. :-)