We ended day three of the four-day camp on a sour note. Zachary is about a year behind on speech and sometimes it really bites us in the patootie. Today was one of those days.
I had to wake the kids up at 8:10 this morning to get them fed and dressed for camp which started at 9:00. I had a feeling it was going to be a tough day, but I didn't have time to stop and consider it. Zach whined because he didn't get his morning snuggle but that's just the way it was going to have to be.
He had a melt down when I said good bye to them. The two lovely teachers immediately engaged him in play as they have done each day. Rebecca and I ducked out and went to shop and spend a few hours with Memaw. When I returned a little after 1:00, I fully expected two happy children as I had received the previous two days. I did, indeed, receive two happy children. But, alas, I also received a report from the main teacher.
Zach apparently thought anything with wheels was his. This included a giant bucket of cars. When another child played with them, he screamed and cried until it was returned. THEN HE THREW THE CAR AT THE CHILD!!! Oh, how I wish I could have been present to deal with it. Instead these sweet ladies had to finally remove Zach from the room after 45 minutes of a Zach Attack.
To put it simply, I was mortified and incredibly embarrassed. I know that he is only three and that he does not have good social skills, but I felt that it somehow reflected some aspect of parenting that I have overlooked. To be sure, Chad and I are going to implement some new techniques. He is going to spend some one on one with Zach and I am going to research some games that better teach sharing and communication.
After a lengthy conversation, Chad and I decided to keep Zach home tomorrow and Hannah gets to enjoy her last day of camp tantrum free. Besides, they are having water play tomorrow and my boy is much too fond of his birthday suit this year. I don't think I want to hear a report about that from the school so it's just better to nip this one in the bud.
Lord, please give me strength!
No comments:
Post a Comment