Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Not the award I was looking for

I put Zach down for his nap on Monday afternoon, relishing the few minutes I would have by myself while the kiddos took a siesta. Zach was very excited to play with his cars and I thought he probably wasn't going to sleep during his down time. I got busy working on MOPS stuff and then I heard a huge THUMP in Zach's room followed by loud hollering in the moniter. I went up to find him holding his head. As I looked around the room, I guessed that he had been climbing on his big red wagon again and fell off of it, knocking his head in the process. I ordered him to bed to take a nap. He was still holding his head and I scolded him that he wouldn't be hurting if he didn't climb all over everything. Pointless, I know. Boys will be boys.

So he went to sleep for about two hours. When he got up, I gave him a snack and we leisurely went outside to play. After about an hour of playing, I got close to his head and realized there was blood clumped in his hair. On closer inspection, I saw LOTS of dried blood. We hustled inside where I cleaned the wound. He apparently nicked his head on something sharp during that big fall and he has a half inch cut. It had bled all during naptime, draining down the back of his head and onto his sheets (which came out blissfully clean last night).

I'm always telling my kids not to whine to me unless there is blood. So there is finally blood and I totally dismissed my kid's pain and then didn't even notice the cut for a few hours. I officially earned the Bad Parent of the Day award yesterday. Ugh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no! Poor Z and poor Mommy! Don't give yourself the bad mommy award just yet. Think of all the times he's been in his room screaming, just because he wanted out etc. This instance wasn't so different than that, right? I'm sure he's busted many many times before. He'll be fine! *hugs*

Unknown said...

As long as it was a head-wound, Z will be OK. I am sure he inherited his Dad's hard head characteristics.

:-)